Friday, June 02, 2006

What happen to the brotherly love?

Marvin Gaye once sang loudly in 70’s, “What’s going on?” Lately as I turn on the news to get my day started with some up to date information and a little eye candy from Lori Wilson on NBC10 news in Philadelphia, I am in shock at what I am seeing and hearing. No longer does the moniker of, “brotherly love” belong to the city I grew up in. That tag has been suspended in my view because this city that is rich in history now have a cold reality as the summer is heating up.

Just two block from where my mother live off of Broad and Germantown Ave., a Chinese man and his worker were gunned down for little or no money that the predators were trying to steal. What’s going on? Can someone tell me because I am almost afraid to go back home to visit and worst of all I am afraid for my family and the people I love to be easy prey for the people who has no respect for themselves or others. Philly has taken over the news stations, practically North Philly. The mayor John Street was on the national cable station CNN asking for help when a police officer was gunned down in cold blood.

A young man who just graduated from Roman Catholic High School on his way to college in the fall was working as a guard when a man pointed a gun at him and shot him in cold blood. Has Satan himself set up residency in my beloved city? Has the ghetto life gone to another level because of people do not want to wait for the finer things in life. What happen to having a dream of wanting to be something in my beloved city? No sin is bigger than any other sin but God has to be disappointed in what is happening on this planet with all the violence, domestic and abroad. I am proud to be from the ghetto. I had a great time learning what it took to be a law-abiding citizen. Time has change and only God can help us out of this mess.

I acknowledge that crime is everywhere but it troubles me that you can be in any store in the city and a man on a mission to do harm will do it at all cost. Children are caught in the crossfire and mothers are left with nothing but tears and funeral arrangements.
What kind a life can the youth look forward to when all he sees is disturb individuals looking for a quick buck? Is it the music? Is it the upbringing? Is it the influence of friends edging one another to do the wrong damn thing? These idiots have to know that they will get caught. Going to jail is not a glamorous place, I know because I work in the internal affairs department for four years. Marvin also sang in the same song, “Make me throw up both my hands.” I will make sure that when I do throw up my hands I will be saying a prayer for each and every person in the city of brotherly. Lets continue to pray that the means of getting ahead, would not be a a preditor vs a potential victum. God did not intend for life to be lived in fear.

2 Comments:

Blogger Soulfull said...

WOW! This is just terrible. The level of violence these days is just mind boggling... :(

2:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your website has a useful information for beginners like me.
»

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home